Friday, September 25, 2009

What the Hall?

I don't know about you, but to me, there's something really, really depressing about the National Soccer Hall of Fame shutting its doors to the public. And I think that almost anyone who's been there would probably agree. The Hall has some pretty cool stuff - not to mention some of the greenest soccer fields I've ever seen.

But what depresses me even more is that this is taking place today. Today as in 2009, a year in which the US National Team beat the number one team in the world, reached its first FIFA final like ever, and came within a Bob Bradley brain fart of beating Brazil for the Confederations Cup. A year in which the Women's National Team sits atop the women's rankings, not to mention a year in which cities like Vancouver, Portland, St. Louis and Montreal all tripped over themselves clamoring for top-flight football.

And, it could be argued, that even more importantly, 2009 is a year in which the U.S. is making a massive bid for either the 2018 or 2022 World Cup.

So how the heck did we get to the point where we can't even keep the door open on our own Hall of Fame?

People have whispered that it has everything to do with politics, and as a poli sci major, I'm inclined to agree. If I believe what I'm told - which I do far too often than I'd like to admit - the U.S. Soccer Federation has enough money to run a third world economy. They have Scrooge McDuck money.

And it seems obvious that in a situation similar to this one, alot of that money is being either misappropriated. I mean, sure, some of it should go to youth development. I don't disagree with that premise entirely.* Some of it should be poured into referee training (has anyone actually witnessed a well-officiated MLS match? If so, please send visual evidence.). And of course, the yearlong pep rally that is the 2018/2022 bid should probably get a good chunk of change as well.
(*With the exception of money being spent on coaches who teach our kids to become non-thinking soccer robots. But that's an argument I'll save for a few rainy days next April.)

Which leaves me with the question: what about the Hall?

Take away the negatives associated with the Hall. It's out in the middle of nowhere (True). It doesn't promote itself (True). It's outdated (True - just look at The Hall at Patriot Place - a Hall dedicated to a single team - for comparison). Yet despite its shortcomings, the undeniable truth is that the Hall is the only national tribute to the game's past. And now it's closed to the public.

I understand that the world's economy isn't at its liveliest. I get that. And I know at some level, it affected the Hall's viability to remain open. Oneonta isn't exactly the most convenient locale in the country, nevermind in the State of New York.

The more I think about it, the more it strikes me that this very likely could've been avoided. It should've been avoided. The Hall was essentially run on grant money from USSF and other organizations. You're not going to cover basic expenses on admission sales and tournament fees alone. No way, not in Oneonta at least.*

(*The argument that the Baseball Hall of Fame, which sits about 25 miles away in another sleepy town - Cooperstown - survives in its surroundings is pretty moot because the cash that MLB alots it through grants is pretty well-apportioned.)

I won't pretend to know what the exact thought processes of those who make such decisions. I haven't learned to read minds yet. But I gather that ALOT of people dropped the ball to get to where we are today with the Hall. And if this is indeed the case, it's pretty depressing to know that the very people in charge of promoting soccer here are bored by its past.

No comments:

Post a Comment